Author Topic: posta i mini  (Read 3666 times)

aca grunf

posta i mini
« on: December 09, 2010, 21:46:13 PM »

For political reasons in some overseas countires, BMC required a GRP version of the very popular 'Mini' and our 'Viking Sport' was possibly the reason for our being awarded the contract. this was to design and produce prototypes and associated moulds, jigs and tools - a considerable personal responsibility. The BMC distributors in Chile were the primary outlet, so a number of South Americans arrived in Peel to view the project.

One car was taken to MIRA for the crash test and well exceeded the standard metal version, likewise another on the tordion testing rig at the Austin Factory in Birmingham.

A design for a sports car based on the Mini was evolved but using the longer Minivan wheelbase. The entire body shell was moulded in GRP and many of the original Mini fittings and components utilised, but with the addition of a raised central floor tunnel to give longitudinal stiffness. A light steel tube frame was bonded internally to connect all the important stress points and termed the 'bird cage'.

The prototype car was exhibited at the London Racing Car Show and this was a great opportunity to meet some of the most prominent designers and builders in the racing and sports car field, at least one of whom subsequently produced a car using virtually the s

aca grunf

Odg: posta i mini
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 22:03:24 PM »

Offline gregor.tm

• Članovi MKS
  • Aktivan
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 22:18:46 PM »
dali znate da je ljubljanska pošta u početku 70 tih nabavila ogroman broj minija sa desnim volanom?
zašto?
dabi olakšali poštarim rad. to jest kako bi otvorio vrata minija odma bi več bio na strani trotoara ;-)
na žalost poštarima se ideja nije sviđala i miniji su bili razprodani.

aca grunf

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:16:05 AM »